Saturday, 1 April 2017

Creating rust effect backgrounds...

I never thought I would attempt anything like these creations, but again my new Gelli plate is proving invaluable in creating all sorts of background effects that are completely new to me.

Iron oxide 1 
I brayered a thin layer of blue paint on my Gelli plate, stamped a flourish stamp into the paint and let it dry.  Although I did not get a true impression of the stamp it does add additional pattern and texture to the background which you can see in the close up photo below.

The blue gives this patina to the background...

Iron Oxide 2 

The rust effect paints are shown in the last photo. They are absolutely stunning. 

Once the pale blue paint had dried I added a small amount of all 3 Decoart Media paints over the top and pulled my first print. By allowing the first layer to dry I pulled the blue paint through with the other 3 rust effect paints.

I added some pale peach silk ribbon and a Tim Holtz Ornate Plate, with some little pale blue brads to co-ordinate with my background. The sentiment is by Stampin Up.

Iron oxide 3

As I pulled several backgrounds I decided to make another card using Sizzix Graphic 45 Hampton Arts stamp and die set called "clocks". The trouble is I love the backgrounds so much I am having trouble stamping onto them as I don't want to spoil them, but at least creating so many backgrounds means that I have some leftover that I can just look lovingly at lol.

Iron oxide 4

I heat embossed the little clock hands and secured them with a brad.

Iron oxide 5

And this is the close up of one of the first prints. You can just see some pattern from the stamping.

Iron oxide 7

And here is a photo of the cards with the 3 Media paints I used.

Iron oxide 6

Notice how I am letting go of my obsession with white space lol. Have a great weekend and I'll be back soon x

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Stunning effects!

Sara Barker said...

Love this effect! Your cards are beautiful! thank you for sharing your technique! I thought I could live without a gelli plate, but I guess that's no longer the case! Love these backgrounds and your designs are so elegant! Hugs!