Thursday, 30 March 2017

More background designs with the Gelli plate....

Can you guess what I've been doing lol. I always have fun crafting, but the Gelli plate takes crafting fun to a whole new level and is very addictive!
 
 All of the following backgrounds were created with the Gelli printing plate, acrylic paints and a stamp by WOW called Brocade. It is a negative image stamp which has created the textured flourish effects in all my backgrounds.

Gelli 1c 
I must have created at least 30 prints in one session with the Gelli plate, but this particular backround has to be one of my favourites. The trouble is I'm not sure how I achieved the effect! I think I had stamped the image onto the first layer of paint, pulled a print and let the Gelli plate dry a little before I continued. When I put another layer of acrylic paint over the top, it "pulled" the first layer with it and created white textured flourishes where I had stamped the negative image. I have got to try again- although the Gelli is unpredictable I think you can steer it in the right direction if there is a particular look you are after.

Gelli 1b

After I created the background all I did was add a little silver Washi tape and my default metal frame to create my card.  I really didn't want to obscure the background.

Gelli 1d

The next background is a bit more subtle and I have stamped Stampendous Ornate border across the middle of the card in black ink for some contrast. And as I had my flower and Tattered Lace Ornamental Baroque die cut still on my craft worktop from my last post I simply used it again just to show how it looks as a completed card.

Gelli 1f

 I have put both creations in my new mini scrapbook journal :)

Gelli 1a

 The next background was created by only partially covering the Gelli plate with paint. It occurred to me that if I do want to leave some white space then don't cover the whole plate with paint!

 So instead of using a brayer I brushed on some paint with a paintbrush just around the edges of the plate and pressed my stamp into the paint. This way I got this fragmented background.

Gelli 1e

A couple more similar backgrounds using the same technique. With a li'l imagination I think they look a like cityscapes...

Gelli 1j

Another couple of backgrounds for my scrapbook/journal :)

 Gelli 1g

The next two backgrounds were second pull images or "ghost" images. In other words pull the first image and without reloading the Gelli plate, pull the second print to create a softer background.

Gelli 1i

I did however have some backgrounds that were heavier with paint so added some texture paste in white for contrast.

Gelli 1h

 I think it is fair to say I am absolutely hooked on Gelli plate printing! I hope you enjoy all the photos and I will be back soon x

2 comments:

Shauna Todd said...

Love the backgrounds you are achieving! They look great!

Debbie L said...

love these "prints"- have you tried inks yet ? Did you "pull " your prints on paper or direct onto card ? I have gelli plate but dont have aryllic paints (yet) do you think distress paints would work-