Thursday, 16 March 2017

Creating cards with decoupaged napkins...

That's not a title of a blog post I thought I would ever have, but there are so many lovely napkin designs that I could not resist trying to use them in my crafting.

Decoupage napkin card 1

I used some floral napkins from Amazon and applied matte Mod Podge just to adhere the napkin to the card. I didn't apply the Mod Podge over the top, it didn't seem necessary plus I thought it would make it easier for stamping over the top of the napkins. I'm not sure it would have made much difference though had I applied it over the top as well.

Unlike Gesso, Mod Podge dries fairly quickly which is great for me as I have absolutely no patience for waiting for stuff to dry. To help obscure the edges of the decoupage I randomly stamped a script and texture stamp over edges of the napkin area. This was my fave bit of the whole process. The stamping wasn't perfect but I still like the outcome.

The lovely die topper is by Penny Black called "Pop on a fold-royal swirl" from the Foiled Fox, one of the fab new products from the new Penny Black Bliss collection. The metal frame is just an old frame I have had for many years found buried in my stash.

Decoupage napkin card 2

I also sprayed some DIY shimmer spray which I made by mixing Sepia ink, Aged Mahogony Distress ink and Liquitex ink in Gold. It really is absolutely beautiful and I think as good as any shimmer spray you can buy.

I think by the time I had finished, even up close it is not immediately obvious that napkins have been used to create this card.

Decoupage napkin card 3

Finally, here is a photo of my latest DIY inks. You can find my previous post about DIY shimmer sprays here. The lovely little glass bottles are from Amazon, and although they are small they work perfectly. They are just right for mixing up small amounts of DIY shimmer spray. I have made these with Sepia ink, gold Liquitex ink and Distress inks. The Sepia gives these inks that "Moonshadow" effect of Lindy's ink sprays.

DIY shimmer spray-Sepia ink with distress inks


I love the napkins, they provide such a lovely background that you can then add to with stamping and embellishments, and there are lots of lovely designs to choose from too. I am sure I will be trying this again in the future. See you again soon x

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

AWESOME!!!! Such a beautiful card!
FYI: l like to use this process on butterfly wings... Just die cut a butterfly with lots of cut outs then separate the napkin papers & glue to the back of the butterfly...I prefer the shinny it makes the paper almost see through!!! Very beautiful!! Charlotte Bullock

Betty Keefe said...

beautiful card - love all the mixed media you've been creating lately - MM is really difficult for me and i hardly ever try it.

Gunilla/Nilla said...

You creat the most beautiful things and you always inspire me.
I´ll have to try and make my own inks and use napkins on my cards.

Just one question. What is Sepia ink?

Have a lovely day/Gunilla