Tuesday, 28 March 2017

Creating background designs with the Gelli Printing Plate...

I think by now you must all know how much I love creating background designs and have experimented with all sorts of techniques, so for me it was a no brainer investing in a Gelli Printing Plate.

I bought a 6" x 6" Gellie plate as this is the size I use most but I can see me investing in a larger size as I love, love, love the results you can get.

Gelli 3

If you have never heard of a Gelli plate or seen it being used there are lots of fab Youtube tutorials, but the one that probably inspired me the most is by Andy Skinner of Decoart which you can see here. I can only dream of becoming as good as this.

I have only been practising for about an hour with the Gelli plate but I have already picked up a few little techniques that appeal to me, although they may not be for everyone. I prefer a more subtle background so all over bright colours do not generally appeal. I layered orange and blue colours by "pulling" some of the paint off with paper before adding another colour, and then repeating. The first pull often has too much colour, it is the second pull, or "ghost" pull where I achieved the softer colouring. That's how I achieved this more subtle grungey background.

Gelli 1

And this is the background naked as it were, I just added some random stamping using a Bo Bunny text stamp called It Is Written stamp, but not too much as I just didn't want to cover up the background!

What I also love about this technique is that because I used acrylic paint and there is no need to add water, there is no card warpage, and card warpage is the bain of my life no matter how heavy the cardstock I use.

Gelli 4 

The flourish die is by Tattered Lace called Ornamental Baroque and the flower is Hobbycraft. The sentiment is a Tim Holtz Chit Chat sticker.

Gelli 2

 I know that my Gelli plate is going to get used a lot and know that I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do so I look forward to more experimenting.

I will pin my photos on Pinterest, but I think like a lot of people, I am having huge problems loading and viewing images, and despite reporting it I am getting nowhere. Fingers crossed they sort it out soon. See you soon x

3 comments:

Juls said...

So stylish xx

Shauna Todd said...

Sarita, the background is great! Love the use of the flourish and flower - WELL DONE!

Debbie L said...

I have a gelli plate but have used inks instead of paint but think i'll have to invest in some paints