Saturday, 4 March 2017

Creating abstract art with texture paste...

I don't think I've ever mentioned on my blog that I am passionate about abstract art although my last few posts have probably given the game away.

It is only recently I have thought about creating mini pieces of abstract art, and I have been thinking about how I can come up with abstract art ideas that can be incorporated into card making. Having said that I may move more into mixed media art especially as I am now getting a better grip on mediums like Gesso and texture paste, something that as a CAS card maker for many years has been alien to me.

So I thought I would dabble with texture paste to see what I could come up with. I wanted to leave 3/4's  of my card white with the focal point being the line of texture paste and ink. I used 300gsm cardstock and decided only to apply clear Gesso in a line where I was going to apply the paste and ink. That way it would give the ink something to grab onto instead of just sinking straight into the card, and leave the rest of the card pure white just as I wanted.

It pretty much worked, although I think I should have applied at least 2 coats of Gesso where the paste and ink was going to be applied. However, I applied a line of texture paste and allowed it to dry. Then it was a case of dripping (not spraying) the various Lindy's spray inks with teeny tiny spritzes of water as I went. The key to not splattering the entire card is to hold the nozzle very close to the card. That way it minimises splashes and creates this lovely "bleed" effect, especially as it spreads through the texture paste.

  Abstract Art with texture paste 3

I suppose this is a way of dipping my toe in the water and finding out about effects you can get with texture paste, but this kind of art is soooo me.  I hope you are enjoying my creative journey as much as I am! See you soon x 

No comments: