Saturday, 27 February 2016

Pan Pastels and the resist technique

Well not quite the resist technique, but using Pan Pastels with a negative image stamp gives the same kinda look. 

I have created resist backgrounds before using dye based inks, but there is something about using these Pan Pastels I absolutely love.

pp6

So how did I do it?  This was my kit....

pp9

I've used Versamark to stamp the design onto plain white cardstock-coated cardstock is not required unlike dye based inks, and then simply use a latex sponge (or cut n dry foam works as well) to brush the Pan Pastel over the Versamark design. I've used two colours to add more depth to the overall result.

The beautiful background stamp is an old stamp by B Line Designs called Botanical Fern Ebony but I don't think is available any more.

pp5

I also decided to make an envelope to match using the We R Memory Keepers Envelope Punch board.

pp2

It is lovely to be able to make the envelope from scratch so that everything matches beautifully.

The Pan Pastel colours I used for the purple card were Violet Extra Dark 470.1 and Magenta Extra Dark 430.1.

pp3

I then made another in my favourite colours, blue and green. This time colours used were Ultra Blue Extra Dark 520.1 and Phthalo Green Extra Dark 620.1.

pp8

I did actually do this slightly differently in that I laid pastel colour down fist before using Versamark. Hopefully you can see by the pictures the green card has a deeper colour than the other 2 I have made because the first layer of colour is coming through. I think using a contrasting colour would be good too for a completely different effect and will be experimenting with this as well.

pp10

Now I will say Pan Pastels can be messy so care is needed as you work and you definitely need a pastel fixative or the pastels will just rub off. I have lost count how many times I have got the pastels all over my hands and then continued working only to find it has ended up in a mess all over my work and it can transfer very easily to clothes, carpets etc. Saying this, don't let me put you off using them as they blend so well and are easy to use, and I think look stunning.

pp4

And finally colours used for the blue card were Phthalo Blue Extra Dark 560.1 and Ultra Blue Extra Dark 520.1.

Well, I hope you have enjoyed this post as much as I have making these creations. Thank you as ever for stopping by, I hope to be back soon with more Pan Pastel designs and ideas.

5 comments:

Gibmiss said...

Fabulous card... Sarita... I love Pan Pastels... But not used them for a while.. You have reminded me to fish them out...
Hugs Sylvie xx

Dotty Jo x said...

So beautiful, Jo x

Vicki Dutcher said...

Wow that bg stamp makes this technique so elegant. Throw in the matching envelope and you have a stunning end result~

Carole said...

Love these backgrounds and your envelope liner too. As I have said before your work oozes class...these are no exception...truly lovely!

Maryann scrapbooking said...

C'est superbe et sobre à la fois.
Bravo !
Bises

MaryannG