Thursday, 27 August 2015

My first attempt at hot foiling

I'll be honest when I first saw the TODO on Create and Craft I wasn't that interested in it's ability to do hot foiling. I mainly bought it because I needed an A4 die cutting machine, and for the adjustable roller height to enable me to letterpress.

But I ordered the hot foil anyway and gave it a go. I was blown away by the results...

L2

I just had to use the beautiful Memory Box Limoges snowflake for my first foiling project.

Now the way I've hot foiled is not quite how they recommend to do it. The TODO at present has no flat metal plate-a definite flaw in their system (they recommend using the back of a large square metal letterpress plate but it just didn't work for me). I understand they are bringing one out, but in the meantime I decided to heat up a metal die with the foil and card layered on top, and then die cut the whole thing in one go. 

L4

However, doing it this way means the foil kinda sits on top of the card rather than being properly burnished on, but it does adhere sufficiently and I love the effect. Any bits not quite stuck down can easily be rectified with a quickie glue pen.

L3

The foils are lovely not least this next colour which is kind of a midnight blue...

L1

I thought the hot foiling was going to be a lot of faffing around but it was actually very easy and I love the effect far more than I thought I would.

I hope you can forgive me that it's not quite Christmas yet. Mind you all the Christmas stuff will probably be in the shops from next week so I'm hoping you will let me get away with it!

5 comments:

Dotty Jo x said...

Wow - fabulous cards. What a stunning effect you've achieved, Jo x

Ardyth said...

These are stunning - that blue is my favourite - frosty and icy! If you like making Christmas cards, please join us at Muse: ChristmasVisions sometime! We'd love to see you there!

Elaine Stark said...

Beautiful cards. It's a lovely effect. Elaine

vickiscraft said...

Wow, these are stunning Sarita!

Vicki x

paperesc said...

Hi Sarita, First time commenting here - but I've been lurking for a while and I've really enjoyed your posh style. The hot foil effect you achieved is really impressive. It's good to bend the rules sometimes. I overlooked that machine myself. Maybe time to take another look! Liann