Saturday, 25 July 2015

Taking one step at a time

So sorry for up and leaving you all without a word, but my life was put on hold when my health dramatically deteriorated to the extent I eventually had to give my job. After 30 years of working, it was very traumatic but I now realise it was the best thing that could have happened to me, the years of struggling to work with very poor health had really taken it's toll on me mentally and physically. I was very ill and completely wiped out, with no energy for anything let alone crafting or blogging. My health is still not good but at least I have the freedom to rest whenever I need to and life is much less stressful.

It is only in the last few weeks I have felt like crafting again, my creative mojo returning bit by bit. Even though I haven't crafted for a long long time I have been keeping an eye on the crafting world to see what is new (well it would have been rude not too) and I have been buying and hoarding new goodies in the hope that I would one day craft again.

But then panic set in...what if I couldn't remember how to craft? and what if I couldn't remember how to blog? had all the technical little bits about blogging I learned over the years disappeared?

Surprisingly, everything came back to me fairly quickly and I made a start, a very simple card using a Sizzix letterpress plate.


sizzix 5

The Sizzix letterpress plate is called "Organic Flourish" which I got from Ebay. The only reason I bought it was because I bought a TODO from Create and Craft assuming the letterpress would work because of the adjustable roller height.

However, the plate is quite thick and initially I couldn't get it to work with the TODO platform, even set at it's maximum adjustment of 12. So here's what I did...


sizzix 2

I used an old Sizzix platform and laid it inside the TODO. I was able to use the TODO  A and C plates as instructed on the information booklet, but for anyone who may try this I set the TODO on 8 and 1/2 for a perfect debossed impression.

The next photo I think shows the debossing a little bit better.

sizzix 3

Isn't this letterpress gorgeous? I used cotton cardstock which I bought from PDA crafts as this gives a much deeper impression.

Sizzix 1

I used Versafine ink on the plate but the first run through with the TODO caused the ink to blur and it just didn't come out very well, so I ran the plate through again without re-inking, just using the residue on the plate which has created this much softer and more subtle effect.

sizzix 4

Before I go I wanted to thank everyone who left such kind messages for me after my last post. I have only recently read them as I had not been on the computer for so long. I was touched by your concern and it was lovely to sit and read them all.

Well, that's it. Now don't go thinking because I'm at home now I will be posting and blogging all the time lol. Everything I do takes much longer, it has taken me days just to bring all this to you, having to take many breaks in between to rest. But I will try not to leave it another 3 years before I bring you another creation! 

15 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh Sarita it is so lovely to see you back. You were my inspiration for so long and I really missed seeing your beautiful creations. I`m sorry you are still having health problems and hope you feel much better soon.
Lynne xxx

Dotty Jo x said...

Its so good to have you back with us in our little crafting community. I had to change my job due to health problems a few years ago so have a little idea of what you've been going through. Just take everything as it comes and do whatever makes you happy. Take care and keep creating, Jo x

Elaine Stark said...

So sorry your health has not been good, but glad you are starting to feel able to start crafting a little. I missed your lovely blog. You were always an inspiration with your clean and simple style, always so elegant. Lovely to have you back in blogland. Take care. Elaine

vickiscraft said...

OMG Sarita!!!!! It's fabulous to see you back, I have missed your amazing creations sooooo much! So sorry to hear you've been in poor health but glad to hear you are making progress and starting to feel a little better (small steps.)

Take care of yourself,
big hugs
Vicki xx

Chrissie said...

What a joy to see you back Sarita, I was really concerned by your absence and delighted that you are on the road to much better health...long may it continue.
Your work is as inspiring as ever.
Welcome back!

Jane said...

I too am glad to see you back. Your cards are quite unique. Wishing you well & looking forward to seeing more of your work x

patriziawithaz said...

I have missed your wonderful cards Sarita. Sending my best wishes too x

Nanette said...

So,so happy to have you back - and that you are feeling a little better now. Take care of yourself and I will look forward to seeing your wonderful inspiration whenever you can post.

Michelle Short said...

Lovely to see you back, Sarita! :) So sorry to hear you have been going through some major health problems but glad to hear things are slowly improving now. Beautiful card! xx

José said...

It's great you're back in blogging land with your beautiful creations, I missed you and your style of crafting. Sorry to hear you health has not been good for such a long time and I'm glad you find the joy in crafting again. Your card is beautiful.
Hugs José

Sue said...

It is so good to see you back... Sorry to hear you haven't been well. So glad to hear your health is improving and feel like getting yourself back into crafting again...in my opinion its the best therapy there is.... As always a beautiful card.:-)

Julie said...

It's good to see you back, and with a stunning creation too. The foiling aspect of the TODO interests me but I haven't got the space for one.

Paula Pascual said...

So happy to see you back! I am sorry about your health issues, but I am so glad that you are back crafting and blogging! Loads of love, Paula

Sue Robinson said...

I'm so glad your back, I came o c ten and wondered how you were. I missed your style and your chat. So pleased you are now well enough to craft again.TFS your work. Hoping you stay better.

Pam Mc said...

Really happy to see you back blogging. Glad you are feeling much better now. I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful cards. Pam xx