Sunday, 29 May 2011

What I've been up to this Bank Holiday weekend...

It takes a lot to for me to put my crafting on hold, but I thought I would share with you the new project that has taken up all my time this weekend..

Virtually every room in our house has been redecorated, except our bedroom. I have 3 very large wardrobes in the bedroom...but they were just plain pine wardrobes.

100_9081

They were bought years ago and I had come to hate them. However despite being pine, there was nothing wrong with them, they hold a massive amount of my stuff, and I was reluctant just to get rid of them. So DH suggested painting them. I must admit I wasn't keen. I may be able to knock out a half decent card or two, but painting furniture? I just thought the wardrobes would just end up looking like they'd been hand painted, amateurish and quite frankly naff.

But I felt I had nothing to lose, after all it would have been very expensive to replace them...just think of the craft stash I could buy with the money instead. I had wanted built-in wardrobes, but it is out of the question in our room. Our bedroom is in the extended part of the house, with windows on 3 walls and the bedroom door on the 4th, so there is just not enough continuous wall space to have built in wardrobes.

Here is a picture of the original wardrobe. I'm embarrassed to show you, but you would not have got the dramatic before and after pictures if I didn't. It's not a good photo but you get the idea...

100_9004


So off I went to B&Q, and had a look at the paint. I was surprised at the range of paint you can get now for this sort of thing. I plumped for a Dulux Satin Finish for wood in "Milk White", a lovely white with a blue undertone-perfect for my colour scheme.

I have to say I was over the moon with the result. The satin paint is gorgeous and gives a really professional finish. The turquoise and black chandelier was the catalyst for decorating, it's a beauty. And as a finishing touch to tie it all in I bought some turquoise glass doorknobs from Ebay for the wardrobes.

100_9094

The room is so bright now and the chandelier twinkles as the light bounces around the room and off the wardrobes (it looks as though I've got white paint on the walls above the curtain rail but it's just the reflection of the chandelier honest!).

I'm just in the process of finishing painting the last wardrobe...DH despairs that I have 3 of them in our room, but I have given over one tiny part of one of them to accommodate his clothing, and a drawer, so I don't know why he complains...

This is my first attempt at anything like this, and I have to say I'm hooked...I keep looking around to see what else I can paint! I have posted these pictures in case there is someone out there who may be wondering what to with their old furniture...give it a go, it's fun to do and you could save a fortune too!

EDIT-How I did it
I didn't paint the inside of my wardrobes, and to be honest I really don't think it makes any odds. I didn't use a "one coat" paint but seriously wish I had!! I would recommend using a one coat paint-it is more expensive but you will save yourself a lot of work. I ended up putting 3 coats on each wardrobe!! If you don't use a one coat paint I recommend lightly sanding in between each coat for a really smooth finish. The other thing I did was paint the tricky bits with a paint brush and used an emulsion roller for the large parts. This was OK as it was an emulsion paint, but some of the one coat paints for wood are oil based in which case a gloss roller might be better.

I am no means an expert but I hope this helps!!

23 comments:

Gunn (MsPlum) said...

This looks very, very good! I does not take much do it. A little paint and some new nobs and it looks like a brand new wardrobe! Good job!

Lynne said...

Fantastic result Sarita. They look amazing. I scrounged an old side board off a friend to paint but haven`t got around to it yet. You just might have given me the push I needed. Thank you.
Lynne xxx

TAM said...

WOW you have been a busy bee and what a transformation - seems like you're as good at the restoration lark as you are at card making.
Hope you manage to get some R & R tomorrow.

cbuswell said...

Great result, it looks so much brighter, love the blue knobs. I love painting furniture, I painted my daughter's bedroom furniture so it all co-ordinated! Turned out fab too! It is addictive though, giving old furniture a makeover! : )

Sue said...

Hi Sarita
wow they look fabulous, what a transformation, your bedroom looks so fresh, great work hun, sue,x

Marja's Stamp Addiction said...

Sarita what a difference and what a work but beautiful. I believe that it is more lightning in your room. I like it very much.
Sleep well tonight
Gr. Marja

Pam said...

Fab job Sarita Hugs Pam x

Traceyr said...

Yes I do love pine furniture but I must admit I love that wardrobe even more now it has been painted.

:)

Ohneilly said...

Gorgeous, well done.

Now make sure you spend some of what you saved doing this instead of buying new ones on craft stash!!!- It's an investment ;)
Claire x

Mau xx said...

Beautiful Sarita, what a Transformation, They are Brilliant well done xxx Mau

Sharon said...

I think your wardrobe turned out smashing! I love the crystal blue door pulls! So pretty and feminine! Great job! and I too, had no idea that they now make paint for furniture. I just might have to paint something! Thanks for the inspiration!

Pauline C said...

Wow Sarita this looks fab. I'm really interested .... I too have an old pine wardrobe in my spare room (+ a large chest with mirror, another chest/cupboard, 2 bedside tables and a linen chest!!) ... and have also grown to hate them but they fit the room and are handmade so I can't really justify throwing them out!! May I ask, a) did you paint the insides as well? b) how many coats did it take to get such a good finish, and c) did you sand the doors first or just go straight for it with the paint??
Fab results!! I could picture this kind of look in my own spare room.
hugs
Pauline x

Rufus said...

Fabulous job! Looks great! Almost as nice as your cards, hehehe.
R/

Grenouille Greetings said...

Fabulous job. Looks stunning Sarita! Great knobs! (Can I say that in this kind of forum?) Love your chandelier too! Hugs, Lesley

Wendy M said...

Wow you did a great job well done!

Carol Q said...

brilliant Sarita - I can now persuade my husband that we can do the same to the pine panelling in our kitchen! lol. A very successful result. You can definitely tell it's your bedroom - those are SO your colours.

angelwhispers said...

Wow they look fab and loving the turquoise accessories really do tie it all together so beautifully. Love Chanelle xxxx

Cynthia Schelzig said...

I must say you have done yourself proud with such and undertaking and you did more than one of these ...amazing indeed! I admire your stamina:)....I have no nerves for DIY projects...I get so edgey and think of all the other work I have to do while I am doing the DIY project but you have changed my mind...really.
Thanks for the advice about the one-coat too...good point...I think maybe that was my whole problem in the past in my DIY untertakings.
They look great!

Sue said...

A brilliant looking job they look brand new just shows what can be done Luv Sue x

Juls said...

ooooh it looks fab!!! The refurb looks gorgeous!!! the touches of teal are just perfect!! Hugs Juls

Sasha said...

WOW! Great Job! The finish looks fabulous! x

Faith A said...

Oh! WOW, I love the effect, and as you say what a difference, the chandelier is gorgeous and so are the door knobs

Vicki Dutcher said...

What an amazing transformation! WOW - just stunning in the after!!