Thursday, 21 April 2011

Crepe Paper Flower Tutorial

Hi everyone, happy Maundy Thursday to you all! No cardage to show you at present as I'm still struggling with my health, or lack of, so I bring you a tutorial I prepared ages ago but never got round to blogging.


I haven't played with crepe paper since I was a little girl. It makes for beautiful flowers as you can see...

D10

So how did I create them? Here is a guide...

Step1: Cut 2 strips of crepe paper. I wanted my blooms to be quite full so I cut strips of approx 2 feet. Any longer than that and the crepe can be quite difficult to manage. For the blue and purple flowers I cut the width of both strips to approx 3cm. For the pink flower I made the width of the inner strip smaller for a slightly different effect. Check out the photos below to see what I mean.


To secure the flower I die cut a 6cm circle.


D2


Step 2: Secure both ends (I just used a small piece of double sided tape). Once secure, fold the circle of crepe paper. Really press the crepe paper to make the folds as crisp as possible. The better the folds the better it will look and the easier it is to work with.


D3

tep 3: You should end up with something like this. Gently push the circle together in readiness to mount onto the circle of card.


D4


Step 4. Next come the tricky bit. Rather than lift the crepe paper over to the die cut circle, I placed the circle of card inside my already arranged crepe paper. Crepe paper can stretch very easily so it is better to move it as little as possible.

D5

Step 5. This is where you need patience!! At first it seems like it is never going to fit on your circle of card. But if you just draw it in first from top to bottom and the left to right, you will find the folds of paper kind of ping into place. Hence the need to really fold the crepe paper well before you start gluing it.


D6


6. Fold the second strip of crepe, take the first stage of the flower and place it in the middle of the next layer.


D7

Step 7: Add another layer of glue.

D8


Step 8 : Finally add the inner layer of crepe. I found this bit the most tricky. If you want an easier life cut the strips a bit shorter and wider as it is easier to handle!!



D9

Then you are ready to add your bling! The beautiful bling is actually a large spacer and gem from The Hobby House.


To show off one of the blooms I made a dimensional envelope...I think the recipient would be suitably wowed!!

D12

It was actually quite hard to track down some nice coloured crepe paper. It was sheer luck I stumbled across these lovely colours in a local stationary shop.

D11


And finally just one more photo of the pink and blue flower as I like the photo!



D1

Well I hope you like them. It took me several attempts before I was satisfied with the end result.


I hope to be back soon. As you are probably aware I am going through a difficult time with my health. I have soo much catching up to do with you all, but I am very limited as to the amount of time I am able to spend on the computer so it will be slow going.



In the mean time I hope you all have a lovely Easter.

17 comments:

Ulina /Apricot Bubbles said...

Hi Sarita!
I´ve been missing you!!!
I´m SO sorry, that you´re struggling with your health!
I truly hope that you´ll feel better SOON!
I miss your beautiful cards and creations - so, thanks for this great tutorial! That blue flower looks really gorgeous on that envelope!
Sunny greetings from Vienna!
Ulina

Marja's Stamp Addiction said...

A beautiful result Sarita. And thanks fot your subscription to make it by our own.
Gorgeous flowers
Sunny greets Marja

angelwhispers said...

Hi Sarita!! Hope you are feeling a little better we really miss your great creations but your health is far more important!!! Take it slowly and make sure you get plenty of rest!!

The tutorial is just lovely and the finished flower amazing!! Chanelle xxxx

Joey said...

Just Beautiful Sarita, gorgeous colours. Joey x

Lily said...

Wow, Sarita, these are sensational! Thank's for the step by step instructions, will give it a go. Have a great Easter weekend, take care of yourself!
Hugs,
Lily

Carol Q said...

aw Sarita - so sorry you're still struggling. I reckon that flower takes a lot of patience but you've chosen such lovely strong colours and what a wonderful stunning result.
GET WELL SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mandi said...

Stunning as ever Sarita
Sorry about your health not being so good again, you poor love
Look after yourself and have a happy easter
mandi xx

Merry said...

Beautiful flowers and a wonderful tutorial...thanks so much Sarita....I hope you are feeling better soon.

Grenouille Greetings said...

Oh I doooooooo like them! Lovely blooms! Look fantastic on your hand made dimensional envelope too! Great tutorial, Sarita and I'd be very interested to learn how you make your envelopes when you are feeling better which I sincerely hope will be very soon! Hugs, Lesley

fatmonica said...

Great flowers.I love that light blue one!

Rufus said...

Sarita, I've missed seeing your creations! Thanks for posting this, they're very pretty. Hope that you get feeling better soon. Till then don't worry about anything but feeling better! Happy Easter to you.
R/

Tina said...

Hello Sarita,

I send you a big hug and hope you´ll feel better soon.
Those flowers are very impressive, beautiful, amazing, .... I could go on and on, heehee. Thanks for the tutorial and take good care of yourself.

Hugs, Tina

Erika said...

Sarita hope you are feeling better soon, I love seeing your creations. This flowers are beautiful.

Riet said...

Wowwww Sarita,So wonderful.

Hugs Riet.xx

Andrea said...

Hi Sarita - it's lovely to see you popping back now and again - sorry that you are not well, and I hope you fell better very soon.
All your flowers are stunning - thank you for the tutorial. I hope you have a lovely Easter weekend.
Love, Andrea xx

Pauline said...

Beautiful flowers and a great tutorial, thanks for sharing.

sparklygirl-Tina said...

Hi Sarita

You are super talented these crepe flowers are so gorgeous what fabby colours. Been having a nosey around your blog and am loving what I see!

Will be back to visit again soon.

Take care and wishing you better.

Tina
X