Saturday, 12 February 2011

A new sketch and a new challenge....

I am really enjoying Chrissie's and Mandi's fab new challenge blog "Less is More", it's only their second week and already a huge success. Well done girlies for creating such a fab challenge blog.

This week's challenge is a one layer card with the theme of a flower or a tree. Well. If that ain't me then I don't know what is lol.

Another perfect excuse to sketch another flower with my Prismas. I suppose this is a bit like a dahlia, but it can be whatever you want it to be....

D1

For speed, I drew straight onto the grey cardstock (no practice first!!), I used 3-4 different coloured Prisma's to create a bit of depth. I was pretty terrified of adding the sentiment (should've done that first groan)...had it gone wrong the whole sketch would have been in vain!

Luckily it turned out OK. I'm not entirely happy with the overall composition of the image with the sentiment but it is difficult when you are drawing straight onto the card. I had to have a rough idea of where I was going to place the sentiment before I started.

d2

Here are the colours I used. The curious bullet shaped item that looks a bit like a mascara, is in fact a Prisma pencil sharpener. I wondered if it was just a bit of a gimmick but I have to say it is fantastic.

D4

Here are my pencils all sharpened up. Because the leads are a soft wax they break easily when they are sharpened with an ordinary sharpener. At least they did with my sharpeners. Maybe other sharpeners are just as good but personally I would recommend the proper tool for the job.

D3

Now the next picture is for a couple of my international bloggy buddies Sheila and Rufus, who I believe are both from the States and are not familiar with Glamour Dust. I often refer to it in my blogging as I use it virtually all the time, and (wrongly) assume that all my blog visitors know what I'm talking about!


Glamour Dust by DecoArt is a really fine glitter, readily available in the UK, that I apply with a Quickie Glue pen. I have other glitters, but this for me sparkles like no other! I've had this bottle for approximately 6 years and am only now just reaching the bottom of the bottle. Not bad considering I use it in nearly every project. That's what I call value for money.

And finally a photo showing the drawing with a bit of Glamour Dust. I have to say there must be some magic ingredient in the Prisma pencils as I think the glitter looks just beautiful combined with these pencils.


dahlia 5

Well, I hope once again you like my l'il drawing...given more time I know I could refine it and experiment a bit more with shading using my Prismas. One of my favourite techniques I used in my art work many years ago was colouring on dark cardstock with pastels....working with Prismas reminds me of this, but I am just soo out of practice!

Thank you once again for all your lovely comments. I have some more time off next week and will be catching up with you all then.

Have a fab fab weekend!

49 comments:

Chrissie said...

Fab card yet again Sarita, I've never seen on of yours that isn't!
The answer to the nervous sentiment thingy is to do it first... I'd rather throw a wonky sentiment out than ruin a work of art!
Thanks for coming back for more!
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Zoë said...

Wow that's just gorgeous! Love your kitty too! Zx

Sharon said...

Another stunner Sarita! Those prisma's sure have an impact on the different coloured card stock. Love your sketches as they are all so incredible elegant. Sheer beauty!
Hugs,
Sharon xx
P.S. So relived you liked my card - I was on tenterhooks.

~ Ali Watson ~ said...

Lovely card Sarita...love it.

Ali x

Sheila in Cyprus said...

Sarita, you have excelled yourself again. Another of your fab sketches and beautiful ribbon. Love Sheila (Cyprus)

Sheila in Cyprus said...

Saria, you have excelled yourself again. Another of your fab sketches and beautiful ribbon. Love Sheila (Cyprus)

Linby said...

Simply gorgeous with and without the glitterdust.
Linbyx

Gibmiss said...

Hi Sarita
Gorgeous card ...Stunning ...loooove it!!!!
hugs
sylvie
xxxxxx

Mandi said...

Fantastic card Sarita, you are so funny saying you are out of practice. Wish I could create that 'out of practice' LOL

Thanks for participating again, much appreciated

mandi
"Less is More"

Aileen said...

You are very brave drawing straight onto the card but the end result is stunning!

Debgem said...

Wonderful - I love the flower - you make them look so easy!! But they're not! I really like it with the glitter too!

Pauline said...

Beeeeeutiful! Love the glamour dust myself, but I always end up with it all over my face lol!

Georgia said...

Ooh, this is sooo gorgeous Sarita! The flower is stunning and I love the glitter and colours, wow! Have a nice weekend. :) Love, Georgia xx

Lily said...

Love your less is more style, gorgeous card as always! Great tip on the pencil sharpner, she will be on my next shopping list :-) Hugs,Lily

Steph said...

Just beautiful, Sarita. I'm loving your new direction with the prismas. ps LOVE that pencil sharpener!!!! How stylish!!! x

Louise said...

out of practice ... don't think so. This is just gorgeous as always, and like with and without the glamour dust.

Louise x

Larissa said...

So pretty! Love the gorgeous flower and I really want to try it myself!

Hugs,
Larissa

Lynne said...

Once again, another beauty.
Lynne xxx

angelwhispers said...

My goodness another fabulous make and the flower is just stunning!!! Love the colours you have used they are so beautiful abd fab on the dark card!!!! Chanelle xxx

Erika said...

Great card Sarita.

Faye said...

Incredible! This is so gorgeous, and in spite of your hesitation to make that first stroke, it turned out perfect.

José said...

Georgeous card Sarita, beautiful, these colors, simple but very elegant.
Hugs José

♥ Marlou ♥ said...

amazing!!! I love this card :) x

Susan said...

Beautiful!!! I am so in awe of your talent! I wish I could draw!!!

Jennifer said...

Stunning....amazing colours xx Jenny xx

cardz said...

Beautiful job with the flower, your colours were a brilliant choice, blending well together but with plenty of punch on the grey card base. I am inspired to get out my pencils tonight.

Kerry said...

Hi Sarita,

Another beautiful card. I love the citrus colour combination.

Love Kerry xxx

Jackie said...

Absolutely superb. I love your perfect flower and the whole card is just so stylish :o)
Jackie xx

sheila said...

Thank you Sarita for answering my Glamour Dust questions. I have finally located some, tried it and it now truly is my sparkle of choice! Your cards are stunning!

Sue said...

Well you have gone and done it again.... Another superb card. I wish I was half as cleaver. Keep 'em coming.
Regards Sue

Stamping 4 Pleasure said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!
Hugs, Sandra

Chris said...

Beautiful card, Sarita, such a great depth of colour to it.

Sue said...

Hi Sarita,this is gorgeous,i absolutely love your cards...stunning:)

sue
xx

craftingdi said...

Absolutely stunning! xx

Jane said...

Fab card very stylish

Stamps and Paper said...

Simply stunning.....a really beautiful card.

Anne

Abi said...

Absolutely phenomenal Sarita!

Tina said...

I love, love, love this card!!! Sarita, this is why I can´t get enough of your creations. :D

Hugs, Tina

Jan said...

Wonderful xx Jan

butlersabroad said...

Stunning as usual Sarita, just stunning. And yes, this challenge has your name all over it!!

Hugs
Brenda

Dawn said...

wow how do you do it - I'd be a nervous wreck drawing staight on to the card, I'd probably waste a whole tree!

Hugs

Dawn
x

Shaz said...

Another beauty Sarita, just stunning. x

stempelplatz said...

fabulous card and colors, simply wonderfull!

Bianca

Kathyk said...

Fab card and that lime is inspired

Kathyk

Grenouille Greetings said...

Lovin your unique designs on Kraft! Hugs, Lesley

Elizabeth said...

Hi Sarita, Brilliant card - and so different. you are so talented and the flower does look rather like a spider dahlia. Elizabeth x

Bernadet Rodakowski said...

I LOVE your card! Am I correct in understanding your colored pencil art is free-hand? No going over a stamp? Wow! I have all those colors, I'm gonna try adding glitter next time around. TFS!

Rachel x said...

Hi Sarita!! :)
This is simply stunning!! I'm just blown away by your sketching and how gorgeous the Prismas look on dark card and so excited to have a go myself- I've just got some after a long time of longing for them thanks to a money gift from my lovely grandparents, too!! :) I'm following your blog now as your cards are all beautiful- thanks for the inspiration!! :)
hugs, Rachel x

Pauline said...

Beautiful! I love glamour dust too, the swirly flower looks gorgeous xx