Monday, 5 April 2010

Who said I can't colour?

...oh, yes that's right it was me, in my last post!

Now you can't make a sweeping statement about persevering with colouring in and not actually do anything about it, so I thought I would ease myself in with this little creation.


Now I know what you're thinking...how can a seasoned crafter like moi not know how to colour in? But you see I haven't used an image in my crafting for so long I have really lost the knack. I know this creation looks easy peasy to colour...and it was...this House Mouse stamp is so beautifully detailed it would be hard to make a bad job of it...but I managed to get a little bit of shading going on, and I'm reasonably happy with the result. I stamped the image in grey and have gone for quite a subtle effect for the mice...I think it makes the jelly beans stand out a bit more. I then added some Glossy Accents to make them look more realistic!

And here's the thing...I used watercolours for the main image. As I said in my previous post I haven't had a lot of success with Promarkers or Copics.

For me using watercolour is like coming home...it is all I've ever used in my art work in the past so it is what I'm used to, although it has been a while. This little watercolour set cost £3.99 from Wilkinson. I thought I would have a lot of faffing mixing the colours but I found it very quick and easy. I even managed to mix my own perfect skin tone...I just used the white with a hint of crimson and voila! And I just love how you can manipulate watercolours to create shading.

OK..I admit it...gulp...I did use some Promarkers for the jelly beans...OK OK, I won't completely discard them lol!

It is very very unusual for me to do cute, but I have to say I really love this stamp and so have made the exception this time!

I know this creation doesn't make me Leonardo De Vinci or anything, but it has got me a bit more used to colouring, so I'm not so worried about it now. I shall always be in awe though of your beautifully coloured Copic and Promarker creations, and I know some of you colour with distress inks as well to fantastic effect.

Well I hope you have enjoyed your Easter, I will no doubt be back again soon.

33 comments:

Marcea said...

oh you are a clever thing .... this is stunning, it really is. The jelly beans look fabulous ...... I could justreach in and pinch one. Fab work
-x-

Jules said...

Hi Sarita

This is gorgeous - and you definitely can colour!!!

Your finished card is so beautiful and the glossy jelly beans set everything off so nicely.

Hope you have had a good Easter - enjoy today!!

Love Jules xx

Grenouille Greetings said...

Well I didn't doubt your colouring ability for one moment, Sarita and this is a gorgeous card. This is one of my fave HM images although I don't actually own it and you have used it to great effect on this CAS card with the perfect sentiment! Fab glossy accents for the beans and gorgeous sparkle for the jar! Lovely! Warmest wishes, Lesley

Kaz said...

Hi Sarita that stamp is cute and I love the overall cleaness of the card - love white space myself. You can colour really well, but I know what you mean about Copics. I nearly threw mine out at first! xxx

Mandi said...

Wasnt me honest LOL

Looks fabulous Sarita..as if it wouldn't eh!..clever girlie you

Enjoy your BH monday
xx

maddy hill said...

i love the fact that the jelly beans are that bright on the card - what a lovely effect !! and the colouring is fab on them - honest !!
hugs
maddy x

Smita said...

The jelly beans look ready to eat!! :0( Love the coloring too... who said you can't color, by the way?!?!

Juls said...

this is gorgeous!!! I love how you have managed to make a house mouse image look so elegant!! Love how yout have coloured the jelly beans so they are so bright and glossy!! Love the glitter on the sweetie jar! stunning creation! Hugs Juls

Julie said...

Hi Sarita - well it certainly wasn't me who said you couldn't colour, this is extraordinary!! I love the way you've made the jelly beans pop out against the muted colours of the mice- genius!! No wonder the mice can't wait to get into the jar- this is totally awesome!!! Juliexx

Fiona said...

Dear Leonardo,
I think you CAN colour, this is just super. the jelly beans look good enough to eat.

Fiona x

Marja Sch said...

This ia absolutly awesome... and yes you can colour.

I love the effect you made with the beans.
I hope you have a lovely Easter. Hugs Marja

Lynne said...

Oh Sarita you are just not fair lol. You told us you couldn`t colour and then you come up with this! It is fabulous! You are much too hard on yourself girl.
Jealous Hugs, Lynne xxx

gina g said...

Hiya Sarita This is absolutely stunning i love it, beautiful colouring and colours and fabulous image too. luv gina xx

mckinkle said...

Gorgeous card Sarita, love the beans they look so just pefect!

You really do make things look so simple when they arent!

Keryn x

Georgia said...

WOW! Sarita, this is soooo gorgeous! I love the cute image, your colouring is stunning and the jellybeans look great! Have a lovely week! :) Love, Georgia xx

Kerry said...

I think I may treat myself to those paints Sarita and have a go. I use Copics, but I do want to try watercolours for the suttle look. I love the image too! xx

Andrea said...

Your colouring is fabulous - the mice look so cute and the jelly beans look fantastic!
Love, Andrea xx

angelwhispers said...

Sarita this is beautiful!! I love House Mouse images and this one is fabby especially with the beans they look great and really stand out!! Love Chanelle xx

Pam said...

Georgous image, coloured beautifully. Hugs Pam x

Carol Q said...

lovely glossy jelly beans Sarita. it is a very cute stamp and you've made a wonderful card with it!

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

beautiful... something for you on my blog. Click HERE.

Sue C said...

Really beautiful card Sarita. The stronger colours of the jelly beans work a treat. Sue C x

Linby said...

fab card - love the way you made the jelly beans pop with colour against the rest of the card.
Linbyx

Kim Piggott said...

Wow!
Sarita this is utterly amazing!
hugs
kim x

Handmade with Love said...

Wow you definately CAN colour. What a beautiful card and I love the Alice in Wonderland ones too! Tracey x

Vicki said...

Oh it's just adorable and your colouring is amazing, I love it!

Hugs
Vicki x

Rufus said...

Do like HM. This one is sweet. Love your jelly beans! Hey, if you want to work in watercolor, not Copic or ProMarker, then DO it! I haven't gotten into either of them. Love the folks who can use them so well, but I'm not great with markers. Give me my watercolor pencils or distress inks every time! Besides those things are PRICEY! Have to go find nibbles, your darn jelly beans made me hungry!!
R/

Jackie said...

What a sweet card and your colouring is fab :o)
Jackie xx

José said...

You did a great job on this card, the colouring is beautiful and she is very cute.
Hugs José

LINANNA DESIGNS said...

Oh my goodness Sartita, how fabulous is this colouring, please give me some tuitions!! if only you lived nearer, this is simply perfect. Those jelly beans look completely life like, you can soooo colour girl!!! If i actually liked jelly beans id be tempted to eat one like Marce!

Hope you are well and enjoyed your easter break, your creativity never siezes to amaze me. Enjoy the rest of your week hunny hugs Linda x

Merry said...

Oh wow...this is stunning...love the colouring.

Sue said...

Hi Sarita
oh hun me fav stamps be House Mouse, your colouring is beautiful luv it,stunning creation sue,x

Dawn said...

Ohhh how delicately beautiful, i just adore HM they are just the cutest wee things!

your colouring is gorgeous, I used to use Watercolours all the time but have recently been using markers, mmm might have to get them out again!!

hugs
Dawn
xx