Sunday, 25 April 2010

Lotus Flower Tutorial

...at least I think that's what they look like!

I made these flowers in the same way as shown in my cactus flower tutorial but just cut the petals a bit differently. No special dies or punches needed and all made using scraps, so very inexpensive...how often does that word crop up in our crafting vocabulary lol!


This time instead of using plain cardstock, I've painted them, Glimmer Misted them and spattered them with paint!


So here's how I did it..

Step 1: Fold some strips of card in 3 sizes to create 3 layers...I used 5cm, 3cm and 1.5cm strips. Then cut some semi circles on each fold of the card to create each petal. I made ten petals for each layer.

Step 2: Start to build the layers...

...until you end up with this...


I experimented a little bit by changing the centre, making my own stamen...using a snowflake punch and some gems!

...mmm now I'm thinking this one looks a bit like a water lily!


...the stamen gives it a really delicate look I think...

I added the paint and Glimmer Mist when each layer of petals were in situ...

For this card I used my leafy Cuttlebug embossing folder for the background...

For a slightly different look I cut my petals a bit wider and snipped into the tip of each petal...

...and no you're not seeing things...I did use this envelope in my earlier tutorial...it just happened to be sitting right next to me whilst I made these flowers so I used it again!

Other than painting and spraying my petals, these took no longer than my cactus flowers.

Well I hope you like them...I'm off now to catch up with you and see what you've been up to!

29 comments:

Ruth said...

These are really eyecatching and elegant! I'll be giving them a try later and (if they turn out ok!)I'll let you know.Thanks for sharing, Ruth x

Tara said...

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas Sarita, the flowers are stunning and it just goes to show you can create beautiful things without breaking the bank!
I also love your Kimmie card, stunning!
Hugs Tara xxx

Elaine aka Quixotic said...

Utterly gorgeous!! Really love these. Thank you for sharing!

Carol Q said...

These are wonderful Sarita - and you are obviously very patient to make them! LOL

Lynne said...

Absolutely stunning Sarita! What else can I say.
Lynne xxx

Eve said...

Hi sarita !
Thanks a lot for your tutorial ..
These flowers are really beautiful !!
Have a real good day ;)
Kisses
Eve from France ;)

Chris said...

Absolutely beautiful Sarita and a wonderful tutorial! I love your creativity with basic supplies and the results are amazing, I want to touch those flowers :). Hope you're well. Hugs, Chris xx

Smita said...

Very creative and beautiful outcomes!! Love your flowers and the best part is that they don't require special tools... wonder how many times I've been upset after reading tutorials only because 90% of the world's crafting supplies are not available in my country :-(.
I'll try these flowers as soon as I get back to serious crafting ;-)

Thanks for sharing...

Hugs,
Smita

angelwhispers said...

These are just gorgeous, love both designs!! A must have flower and best of all we all have the ingredients!!!! Love Chanelle x

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Wow Wow Wow - these are just gorgeous Sarita! Your projects never fail to impress and they are always so classy. Love the spritzing and splattering techniques - sounds like you had a lot of fun making these!!
Hugs, Sylvia xxxx

Vicki said...

Oh Sarita what can I say, "stunning" you are so clever and I just love your creations:)

Hugs
Vicki x

Fiona said...

Wow Sarita, every time you come up with something spectacular. These are stunning and it's brilliant that they can be made from 'leftovers'.
Thanks for sharing your ideas with us.

Fiona x

Andrea said...

Your flowers are amazing - thank you for sharing!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Love, Andrea xx

Ida / Little said...

Gorgeous flowers! Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

Love Ida

Jane said...

Wow love the flowers!

Linby said...

these are fab,love the one that looks like a water lilly the best.
Linbyx

Elaine Stark said...

Thanks for sharing this. these flowers look so elegant, I will need to give them a go. Elaine

Riet said...

Wowwwwww Sarita,what a beautiful cards.
So beautiful flowers and details.

Hugs Riet.xx

Juls said...

these are just fabulous! so much work but worth it as they are just stunning!! Thanks for sharing the "how to" Hugs Juls

Julie said...

More stunning flowers, Sarita, you are truly creative!!

Julie said...

Lovely flowers Sarita, the black one is stunning. Thanks for the tutorial.

Rufus said...

These are great, love that they don't need any fancy tools or even papers. And yes that one does look just like a water lilly! Thanks for sharing your ideas and creativity!
R/

Kaz said...

Absolutely gorgeous and they look easy to make too xxx

José said...

Wow, what a stunning flowers you have made. I put the tutorial on my favorites list, and will try to make some, they are great. Thank you for shearing Sarita
Hugs José

Merry said...

Simply stunning...thanks so much for the tutorial.

Елена_П said...

Flower looks very impressive! Wonderful idea! Thank you for tutorial. I'd use it in my cards!
Elena

Jaya Christina said...

wow stunning!
Thanks for tutorial :)

Grenouille Greetings said...

Now these flowers (and the black one with the cut petals) look easier to make than the cactus flower and are a little more substantial for the post – I am definitely going to give these a go. They look so pretty glimmer-misted or sparkled in the white and I love both the Prima centres and your more fragile snow flake centre. I particularly love how you have used the green one against the embossed leaves of the white background. Stunning! Warmest wishes, Lesley

Julawil said...

Wow Ive just discovered your blog! All your designs are fabulous. I cant wait to have a look at the rest!