Thursday, 4 March 2010

Thinking outside of the box...

...or to be more precise, stamping outside of the box.

I've always been a huge fan of Clarity stamping, and the technique I've used here was inspired by Barbara Gray from Clarity Stamps.



The idea is to mask off an area on a sheet of card, and use the resist technique by stamping a design in Versamark. You then stamp the same design slightly off centre to the original stamped Versamarked design create a shadow effect. You can see it much better if you click on the picture.


For these designs I've used my current fave flourish stamp by Anna Griffin which I bought from QVC. For the orange colour design I brayered the background in a multi-coloured ink called "Woodlands" by Adirondack, and then stamped the flourish in slightly darker ink by Adirondack called Ginger.


Just for the sheer heck of it, and because I really loved doing this technique I made one in green as well! For this one I used Adirondack ink in Winter Sky, and then stamped the flourish in Bottle ink by Adirondack.


I think one of the keys to success for this technique is the type of cardstock you use. I used a satin finish cardstock which I bought from Lavinia stamps, but silk cardstock works well too which you can get from Clarity stamps.


I loved loved creating these little pieces of artwork, and I know I will incorporate this technique into my cardmaking. It took a bit of practice, but in the end was quite easy once I got the hang of it, and was so much fun to do. I can see the potential to expand on this style of stamping, and you must know by now that when I get the bug for something it will appear again on my blog in the future!

28 comments:

Juls said...

wow wow wow!!!! These are just amazing!! so elegant! Love the combo of the rose with the flourishes!! gorgeous hon Love it!! Hugs Juls

Merry said...

These are stunning....flourishes and bling together...brilliant.

Tara said...

I love these designs Sarita..... so you and so glamourous!
Hope you are feeling much more like your old self now, enjoy the rest of your week ;o)
Hugs Tara xx

Carol Q said...

OMG - these are so yummy Sarita - the orange one really looks like very fine 3d feathers. just love them!

Paula said...

oh wow...they are truly stunning cards - love the design/overall concept.

Mandi said...

Stunning!

Perfect card, for loads of occasions

Hope oyu are still feeling better hun
xx

Kim Piggott said...

Oh my Sarita these are absolutely out of this world incredibly stunning!
Thanks for sharing your amazing technique!
Colours are so amazing!
hugs
kim x

Dolly said...

Oooh Sarita, it's a beautiful technique. So so elegant, I love watching Barbara Grey on Create and Craft TV. Looking forward to seeing your future projects. :)xx

Vicki said...

OMG Sarita, these are just stunning and sooo elegant, I'm blown away by them, Wow!

Hugs
Vicki x

Sue C said...

These are beautiful Sarita. I will certainly be having a go at this technique. Sue C x

Julie said...

Two very beautiful cards

Fiona said...

Beautiful designs Sarita. I saw Barbara Gray demonstrating this technique on C & C, I love her work it's so classy. Look forward to seeing more like this in the future.

Fiona x

Rufus said...

Very elegant and lovely! I adore flourishes, so I'm off to hunt this one! Like the technique too. Will have to have a go at it. Hope that you are feeling as brilliant as your creation.
R/

angelwhispers said...

Sarita you certainly are getting better (health wise)lol and bursting with inspiration!! Just love these they are so elegant!! The colours you have used are beautiful and look fabulous with the swirls and bling!! Keep it up girl we love it!! Have a great weekend xx

Steph said...

You've done it again!! More stunners! I can't make up my mind which one I like best, the colours are both so gorgeous. Love this technique, Sarita and as always, they're both so beautiful and elegant. Lovin the bling!

Beth said...

Those are absolutely lovely! I love them! You did a wonderful job :)

Biscuitlid said...

all the usual gorgeousness Sarita but in two colours? Yummy!
Hugs
Victoria
x

Gunn (MsPlum) said...

I am speachless... they are so elegant, so beautiful, just stunning!

And then of course you have some perfect roses in just the right color... You sure have an eye for finding the right accesories and then to find the perfect way to use them.

Mvh
Gunn

LINANNA DESIGNS said...

Good evening Sarita, how are you feeling now hunny? hope you're feeling much better than you were the last time i visited. I have to say my friend, these cards are just gorgeous, i love the flourish stamp you got from QVC and both colourways you have used. Well done you hunny, your blog always gives me so much inspiration, im totally in awe of your work. Have a great weekend, big hugs Linda x

Linby said...

These are so totally gorgeous, love the two colour ways, different but the same! I tried to CASE your style - have a look on my blog, I didn't pull it off as elegantly as you but you were certainly my inspiration - thank you.
Hugs Linbyx

Linby said...

Me again! I have an award for you on my blog if you would like to pop over.
Hugs
Linbyx

Dawn said...

AMAZING!! They would look gorgeous on any wall, you have got that technique mastered SArita...

Hugs
Dawn
x

José said...

O...this is so gorgeous Sarita! Love these cards, specially the green/blue one.
hugs José

Grenouille Greetings said...

These are so YOU! Fab flourishes, a beautiful flower and the perfect amount of bling! Divine! Warmest wishes, Lesley

judith@poppy cottage said...

These are beautiful Sarita, the green one especially does it for me! Judith x

Sue said...

Gorgeous, so elegant.

Tracey said...

WOW! Sarita this are stunning they definitely need to go on the wall :)

Hope you're having a good week.

Hugs
Tracey
xx

Алёна said...

bellicimo!!!! beutifulle!!!