Friday, 8 January 2010

Long long ago...

....before my blog was even a twinkle in my eye, and probably before Martha Stewart punches were even a twinkle in Martha Stewart's eye lol, I used to create my own borders, using brass stencils and a craft knife.

For many years I used stencils all the time in my crafting, yet I have never shown any of these creations since I started blogging...probably because die cutting and border punches took off which are so much quicker to use, yet I get so much more satisfaction from dry embossing and creating my own borders.



Here is the Mattie stencil I used for this card...I have loads of stencils but this is one of my fave's. The Mattie idea booklets show them being used with decoupage, and while there is nothing wrong with decoupage, I wanted to use them in a different way, to see what other products would work with them.


And so I used a Tim Holtz stamp from the set "Reindeer Flight"...bet he never thought they would ever be used with a Mattie stencil hee hee...don't tell him will you...it's probably some massive crafting faux pas or something lol.

The sentiment is by Anna Griffin.


Bring back dry embossing I say...perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place but it's just not something I see much of these days. I know it takes longer but I really enjoyed getting my light box out again and creating this border. I will definitely be digging around to see what other stencils I have got.

Can't go without mentioning the weather...this week here in Whitstable we had got off pretty lighty compared to the rest of the country....until this morning that is. Within seconds of me driving off to work I got caught in a blizzard. It was scary how quickly the roads deteriorated, and within about 10 minutes the snow was so heavy I couldn't see the road. I had checked the weather forecast the previous evening and we were told for our region we would get a "few flurries of snow with 1 or 2 heavy bursts". I wouldn't describe the amount of snow that fell this morning quite in those terms!

I'm safely back indoors now after a treacherous journey back home...it is approx 4.30pm and we still have very heavy snow falling, with more predicted for this weekend.

Three guesses where I'll be lol.

29 comments:

Vicki said...

Wow Sarita these are so beautiful, you are just so talented:)

Hugs
Vicki x

Tara said...

That really is a stunning look Sarita..... WOW! Martha Stewart would definitley be proud to create a beautiful border like that one!! Good for you creating something from the heart which takes so much time and dedication, it's a beauty!!
Hugs Tara xx

Lynne said...

Funnily enough I did some dry embossing over Christmas, no where near as brilliant as yours. Check out jerry kays blog `a touch of grace`. She does amazing dry embossing. Gorgeous card btw lol.
Lynne xxx

Merry said...

That border is beautiful and so neatly cut. Wonderful card.

Biscuitlid said...

OMG this is flippin gorgeous Sarita, I bet you encourage loads of us to go and have a try at dry embossing again! I've got loads of stencils that I haven't used in ages.

Glad you're safely home - have a great weekend with your new goodies, thanks for letting me know they arrived so quickly, that's fab

Hugs
Victoria
x

Jane, at Thepaperaffair said...

I like it, alot. I think you are on to something - this is nice and refreshing!

Zvetik said...

Sorri, извини я не говорю по английски, возможно переведет переводчик, но от Ваших шедевров я в восторге. COOL!

Steph said...

Sarita, is there nothing you can't do??!!! This is stunning. I always think of embossing and stencils as quite old fashioned but as ever you put your own twist on things and they look fabulous!! The quality of your cutting is so amazing, it looks like a really fancy punch! Stay warm!! x

judith@poppy cottage said...

This is a gorgeous card, but your cards always are. The colour scheme is lovely, very pristine looking. I always think you get out what you put in, and your cards always reflect that, including this one, thought and effort. Very stylish, and you are not afraid to be an individual, not a follower of what everyone else is doing. Look forward to seeing the next one! Judith x

Mandi said...

Oh sarita you have such patience" Your card is amazing!

Take Care in this snow, its so icy at times

mandi xx

Linby said...

Beautiful card - you see you have patience to cut whereas to me the cuttlebug is a dream! If you have time have a look at one of my flowers I CASED from you, however, on a much lower level.
Linbyx

Dolly said...

This is sooo beautifully elegant Sarita. I absolutely love it. I'm sure we'll all be giving it a try after seeing this wonderful creation so different to the same old border punches we're so tired of. Thanks for the inspiration. Didn't realise you were in Whitstable, my auntie lives in Canterbury. :)xx

Kellylouj said...

Wow fabulous so creative xx

Michelle said...

I love dry embossing too and have recently been using my brass stencils with a rubber mat to emboss with them on the cuttlebug.

You've created a beautiful card Sarita, and all the better for spending a little more time embossing!

What is the sentiment stamp - I keep asking this but such lovely sentiment stamps are hard to find.
Much Love
x Michelle

Fiona said...

Wow Sarita, you are so resourceful and talented. That border is the business! The rest of the card is pretty stunning too!
My auntie lives in Ashford and I was going to stay this weekend but the snow has put the kybosh on that.
Stay warm.
Fiona x

Juls said...

wow that is incredible!! your cutting is amazing! and the result is a totally gorgeous creation! Hugs Juls

Grenouille Greetings said...

This is lovely. I am amazed that you cut out this border by hand - you are sooooo clever! Warmest wishes, Lesley

alcoholinky said...

gorgeous classy creation Sarita. I can perfectly understand the satisfaction you get from creating this.

mckinkle said...

Beautiful work Sarita, certainly takes a lot more patience than the EF's we are all used to now.

Gorgeous card, very regal colours too!

Keryn x

Rufus said...

How classic and classy! Sounds like you should def. stay home this weekend! Play with your stencils some more and inspire us! Tomorrow I'm gonna have to go dig 'em out and play.
R/

Jackie said...

Oh my, this is superb. I love that stencil :o)
Jackie xx

Steph said...

Oh wow! this is soooo gorgeous! One talented lady you are. x

strawberry fields said...

This is stunning! Love the punch and the stamp!
It is so delicate
hugs
fiona x

Dawn said...

Absolutely stunning girlie!!
Love what you did with the embossing, I just got rid of my make shift light box.... !!
Snow, snow and more snow, sick of the bloomin' stuff!!!

Hugs
Dawn
xx

Julie said...

Wow Sarita - your border is awesome and not a punch in sight!! The whole composition makes for a wonderfully elegant and classy card!!! Juliexx

Kaz said...

That card is just gorgeous, I'm sure Tim could appreciate it, but he's a bloke so we could let him off!! xx

Kim Piggott said...

Oh wow this is so totally amazing!
Beautiful card!
hugs
kim x

Ewik21 said...

Sarita, is there nothing you can't do??!!! This is stunning. Hugs Ewa

Trudy said...

A very lovely cards - so great paper and color! And so many details - beautiful!
Thanks for visiting to my blog
Hugs Trudy