Friday, 18 September 2009

The answer to loss of the mojo?

I have been so down in the dumps the last couple of days, and not only because I've lost a scalloped nestie (only a crafter could even begin to understand how this might feel lol), and not only because I have caught some nasty chest infection and feel pretty lousy.

No. It has been more than that...here I am off work and my mojo has upped and left me. It's one thing being so busy when I'm at work that I don't have time to think about crafting, but when I have got time to craft, you do not need the loss of the mojo to strike...

Anyway, hubby walked past my craft room...there I was looking decidedly miserable and feeling very sorry for myself, just pushing bits of paper around on my craft table when he asked me what was wrong. So I told him. " I've lost my mojo". Hubby looked at me for a few seconds, and realising this was a major crisis for me said " don't think of it as losing your mojo, you are just taking time out for creative reflection" (that's what you get for marrying a psychologist!)

But as soon as he said this, I realised I needed to take time out and take a step back as I have been crafting pretty intensely this week and have not really been happy with anything that I have made.

So I did, I gave myself permission to take a day off crafting...I looked at back at some of my earlier work to see if it triggered other ideas...I read magazines...I researched the internet, not solely looking at crafty blogs , but also reviewing some of the crafty tutorials and so on.

On my journey I found a fab tutorial for this beautiful rosette..you can see it here. Well, that was all I needed to give me my mojo back and here, as you can see is the result.

I have to say, normally I am really critical of my creations and am rarely completely happy with anything I create, but I do actually like this card. The rosette was really easy to do and I think makes such a lovely statement.

I shall be entering this card into the "Faking It" challenge over at Papertake Weekly. I think my faux flower is eligible!

So, there you have it, you haven't lost your mojo, you are just taking time out for creative reflection. I highly recommend trying it, it worked for me!

  • Floral paper: Autumn Leaves Foof A La
  • Bazzill cardstock in "Yukon Gold and London Fog"
  • Sentiment: Melissa Frances
  • Martha Stewart Scalloped Punch
  • Brad: Dovecraft

25 comments:

Diamond Doll said...

Wow i love the rosette Sarita, and i,m glad you have your mojo back, i,ll have to remember when i lose mine to remember what your hubby said.
Trish (-:

Emma said...

Awh Sarita - hope you are feeling a little better now - you should be after making such a beautiful card. A real inspiration piece - I love the colours and style you have used on this.

Take care :D
Emma x

Biscuitlid said...

what a whopper of a flower!
So glad you got your mojo back hunny, isn't it annoying when it offs and leaves to go somewhere else for a while.

Thanks for the link to the tutorial, will give that one a go at some point.

Victoria
x

Tara said...

You're right to love this Sarita, it's wonderful! Love the rosette and the colours work beautifully together!
Your hubbies analysis is perfect too and one I shall use when my mojo hibernates....... you know the best thing I find is to look back at what you've done and you can usually find something you like ;o)
Hugs Tara xx

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Hi Sarita - sorry to hear you haven't been too well, but your hubby is right - sometimes we need to relax, reflect, and re-charge our batteries. Pleased your mojo has returned!
Love the card - the design is perfect for your beautiful brocade papers. Very luxurious!
Hugs, Sylvia xx

angelwhispers Chanelle said...

Thanks goodness for your husband Sarita, Love the rosette!! makes a beautiful cards hope you have a lovely weekend with your mojo!!! lol xx

Clare (Littlebear) said...

I love that "taking time out for creative reflection" I must remember it.
This card is stunning Sarita. It sounds like you really enjoyed making it too. The colours are beautiful.
Clare xx

Sue C said...

I think it must be the time of the year as I've had a similar problem this week. Took Wednesday off and it worked wonders. The rosette is gorgeous and I love the colour combo. Will give this a try for sure. Hope you feel better soon. Sue x

Mandi said...

I hope when I find my mojo I can create something equally as exquisite....although I know I wont!

Glad you have it back, wish you better really soon

mandi xx

Dolly said...

I have the same problem, set a day aside for crafting and nothing turns out right. I always prefer my 'rush' jobs. Love this one Sarita the colours are amazing and the flower is ab fab. tfs the link. :)x

alcoholinky said...

Glad you've got the mojo back Sarita - it's very frustrating to loose it and what a clever husband. I shall have to remember that comment too. Beautiful card. Great colour combination.

Kath said...

fabulous card sarita...love your faux flower...thanks for joining in the fun this week at PTW...hugs kath xxx (GDT)

Julie said...

WEll, you certainly found it again with this card! Your rosette is fab. I know how you feel, I spend all day at working thinking about card making then when I get home can't make a thing!!!

Gunn said...

Hi Sarita!
I am so glad that you have got your mojo back! You are such an inspiration to me, so when my mojo take a walkabout, I seek out your blog.

I love what you are able to do with black and white!

Thank you for sharing the tutorial for this rosette. I have already tried it out, it was just what I needed for the card I was making tonight!

Take care!

Gunn

Rufus said...

Your hubby is one smart cookie! Not only did you get your mojo back, but it looks like it's working overtime. Gorgeous card. Hope that your scalloped nestie has found it's way home. I agree with you, that is one MAJOR bummer!

Kim Piggott said...

Well this is stunning Sarita I would say your mojo is definitely up and running again!
Just beautiful!
hugs
kim x

Chris said...

Hi Sarita, sorry to read you're under the weather and I hope you feel better soon. I love your hubbies take on the mojo loss, it's a great one and you're right to just take a day or so away from it, I find that helps too. I just love the card you made when you got it back, the colours are gorgeous and the rosette is really stunning, such a great idea and it looks so elegant. You asked about the red bag and card photo I took a couple of weeks ago and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you but to be honest I think it was just a lucky shot which I took outside at the right time of day which kind of made the background fade out. I do like to photo outside when I can but usually it's indoors under my task light. I've just bought the materials to make an infinity board to photo on and as soon as I've made and used it I'll let you know how I get on. Hope you have a great weekend and get yourself better. Hugs, Chris xx

sandra said...

You made me laugh to tears!!!
I'm glad that you find your mojo!
This look stunning!!!
Hugs!
Sandra!

Georgia said...

Hi Sarita,
Sorry to hear you're feeling down and I hope the infection clears up for you soon - I think your card is stunning and the rosette is gorgeous! :)
Love, Georgia xx

Jackie said...

Absolutely superb. I know how you feel though, been the same for a couple of days, stepped back and I think I am ready to have another go :o)
Jackie xx

Fiona said...

Love the unusual colour combo and the rosette. Hope you feel better soon and your nestie turns up. (How can you lose it ? - your craft room is SO tidy)
Fiona x

Karen said...

STUNNING ! LOve the colour combo.

Love Karen x

Eva said...

Glad to see your mojo found its way back to you! Love the look of the flower, such a striking effect!

gina g said...

Hi Sarita Wow this is stunning love the rosette and the big bow, the colours are beautiful. I hope you are feeling better now and thank you for the lovely comments you leave me. luv gina xx

Steph said...

It's beautiful, Sarita. I really love the colours you've used and the paper is so elegant!