Sunday, 2 August 2009

My little piece of crafting heaven..

Ages and ages ago you may recall I was going to move into a bigger craft room...well we painted it and put a new carpet in...but then other jobs needed doing round the house so it all got put on the back burner...

Well, I'm happy to report that the new craft room is now well under way. We went to Ikea to buy the shelving units and the worktop. Now I have said on my blog before I HATE the store Ikea but love their furniture. The story behind buying this unit illustrates my point perfectly....

I checked stock availability before we left...plenty in stock so off we went on our 100 mile round trip....got there...located the item I wanted..wrote down aisle number and location and went to the basement to collect my unit...a mammoth task in itself considering the vastness of the shop...when we got to aisle 19....NOTHING!!...no units at all...didn't know whether to throw a tantrum or cry....left hubby in aisle 19 and went to other side of store (at least a mile away) to the information desk to enquire...assistant radioed to the warehouse...told me to go back and wait in aisle 19 as someone would bring them to me on a forklift....

We waited....and waited...and waited...nothing..after about 1/2 hour I left hubby again in aisle 19 in case someone turned up, and went back to information desk (still at least a mile away)...assistant radioed again...told me driver had gone on his lunch break!!! I found myself saying "oh OK"...stay calm, stay calm I told myself....

After what seemed an eternity my units turned up on said forklift...assistant apologised for the wait...I said "oh that's OK"...why oh why do I say that??...I don't mean it's OK..probably because I was absolutely exhausted and I think I was just so relieved for it all to be over!

The room is not yet finished by any means...still loads more craft stuff to be shipped in from other areas of the house lol...and that unit under the worktop has got to go...I will get some storage to match my new units.

On the opposite side of the room is where I do most of my crafting...checkout the extra deep worktop to spread out and make a mess!

And this is the nerve centre of Little Princess cards...where I do all my blogging!

Of course not everything has been sorted out...check out my mess of a ribbon box lol...gonna take me ages to sort this out!

And look who thought I built all of this just for him to lounge about on...

And just to give you a brief tour of my units..the 12"x12" boxes bottom right are crammed with Bazzill card in pretty much every colour...the clear plastic boxes from Hobbycraft are full of clear stamps ( I still have loads more but need more boxes!)...haven't yet labelled any of them up..another job that needs doing..

The damask box at the bottom is the one I was telling you about in an earlier post...it's the one I would rescue first in the event of an emergency as it has all of my fave stamps in!!

Of course there is one word that springs to mind with my new units....dust!! The colour of the units really shows the tiniest speck of dust...you can buy doors but I love looking at all my craft stash so bit of a dilemma and I haven't made up my mind yet...besides it would mean yet another trip to Ikea and I haven't recovered from my last visit lol.....

Well, it really is my sanctuary and I love my new craft room and I hope you've enjoyed having a peek!

Anyway, gotta go...can't find hubby...I think I may have left him at Ikea in Aisle 19....

45 comments:

Dawn said...

Ohhhhh ooohhh wowee I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven - I thought it was a new shop when I first say the post - oh how nice to have a whole room and a trendy one at that - craft up a storm Sarita!!

Hugs
Dawn
xxx

Vicky said...

Thanks for sharing your pics of your craft room! I think most of us have decked out our craft room with Ikea furniture! Lol!
Hugs, Vicky ~x~

Kim Piggott said...

Lordy Sarita this is just so wonderful!
Oh I would never leave. It is amazing. Well done on your brilliant layout and thanks for sharing I can always picture you there now.
hugs
kim x

Christine said...

Wow says it all Sarita it looks so stunning & classy but the dust will drive me mad... so my room is made up of 2nd hand white units sooo am a lovely shade of green totaly gorgeous...

Christine xx

Littlebear said...

Wow, what a fantastic craft room Sarita. You have got everything so organised. It must be a pleasure to work in. Thank you for sharing - I love seeing others people's craft spaces.
I hope you are having a lovely weekend and have got over the trauma of shopping at Ikea!
Clare x

Jackie said...

Oh WOW! That is one helluva craft area. Bet it won't stay that tidy for long :o)
Jackie xx

Ruth said...

This is a clasy looking craft room.It's wonderful what can be done with Ikea furniture.Ruth x

Biscuitlid said...

OMG Sarita, I'm jealous with a capitol J!!!

Lol at your Ikea experience though, can empathise. When we went to get the stuff for my craft room, same thing, checked stock and off we went.

They were OOS of 2 items when we got there and we went at the 21% off sale and had to queue for self serve for 2.5 hours after we'd paid. I even ended up breast feeding Zac on a bench at the side of the queue with an audience of about 200!

Victoria
x

Christine (Craftling) said...

That looks like some serious storage there.. I'm very jealous! As for the dust, get his nibs with the tail busy.. He could dust for England with that thing! ;o)

Hugs,
Chris xx

Karen said...

Sigh. A good kind of sigh. Your space looks beautiful, cozy, and just delightful! Your cat seems to think so too. :> Believe it or not, I have not ventured to Ikea yet. I'm afraid that it would empty my wallet and now, after your story, my patience as well! Its an hour and a half away, with no traffic and where it is located there is Always traffic!!!

Have fun creating in your new creative space, Sarita!! :>

Linda said...

Hi Sarita,what a beautiful craft room, love it!
By the way Sarita, the rose what you got from Hobbycraft,do they sell them online, or did you go the shop and buy it. Enjoy the rest of the day, take care. Hugs! Lin xx

alcoholinky said...

what a sophisticated craft room Sarita. gorgeous! I'd be too scared to make a mess - you'll have to show us a pic after a creating session LOL

Chrissie said...

This looks like a display in Harrods! I really can't believe what I'm seeing. I'd just sit there and stare at all the stuff, I wouldn't dare make a mess in this fabulous space.
I feel a trip to aisle 19 coming on!
Chrissie

Jules said...

Wow Sarita - what a fantastic workspace.

I wouldn't dare show a photograph of mine!!!

It would be very scary for everyone - especially if they get claustrophobic (if that is how you spell it).

If my room was like yours I would never want to leave it.

Looking forward to seeing all the gorgeous creations that are going to be produced here.

Love Jules xx

Judy's Crafty Moments said...

wow this is such a fantastic space. I am very very envious!! It looks like a craft shop!!! I love your organsiation..a girl after my own heart..but my little dining room space does not allow for much lee way!! thanks for showing us...I love it!!
Judy xx

Riet said...

OHhhhhhhhhh, Wowwwwwwwwww Sarita,what BEAUTIFULLLLL your room so beautiful.

Hugs Riet.x

fiona said...

Crikey Sarita, I wish my craft room was as tidy as yours. (Your ribbon box looks like mine though) How lovely to see your fab room. I have also had the 'Ikea experience'
x

Georgia said...

This is stunning Sarita! Wow, those shelving units are great! It'll be nice that you can look at all your stuff and get to everything easily. I really like how you've decorated the room too, with the lovely flowers and chandelier! :)
Love, Georgia xx

LINANNA DESIGNS said...

Oh my goodness Sarita, your room looks fabulous, how lucky are you hunny. I wish i had a crafty space like yours!!! have fun creating in there, no doubt you will be producing endless pieces of art as always!! hugs Linda x

Zinnia said...

Wow! All I can say is Wow! Beautiful room, it looks like it came straight out of a magazine. You did such a great job planning and coordinating everything. I have a love/hate with Ikea too. Yet, the furniture systems are so perfect for collectibles and crafts. I just love what you did. oxoxoxoxo

Allissa (Lisa) said...

Hi ya hun...well I think its fabulous. I know what you mean about ikea tho...I too love the furniture which is simular to yours but in maple & too attracts the dust! lol but then mine is NO where near as tidy as yours haha!

Simply a stunning room darlin. TFS
Hugs
Lisa.xx

Pam said...

Your craft room looks awesome. I am using the same Ikea furniture as you for my craft area, but only have one shelf unit so far. But it won't be long before I have to get the second one. And I agree with you about hating them, but loving the furniture. I had bought a dresser as well and there was a big chunk out of the side of it. When drove a round trip of 3 hours to have to exchange it, the manager would not even consider a slight discount for my troubles. She said I should have opened the box and checked each piece for flaws. Very poor customer service at that place, but if the furniture is not damaged it is a good value and very sturdy. Have fun in your new craft area, I am planning on enjoying mine very soon as well.

katy said...

I am a pleasant shade of green with envy Sarita :) Will your other half ever see you now, lol....mine wouldn't ! Fabulous !!!!

Aina said...

What a room! Is it always this tidy?
Love it!!!!!

Nicki said...

Oh my god WOW this is totally gorgeous! soooo tidy.... but for how long? ;-)
love the puddy tat! awwww so cute!
Love the room! have fun creating now!
take care
Nicki
x

Faerielore said...

WOW what am amazin craft room !!! wish mine looked like that, mine is a bit jumble of mess hehehehe at least i know where everything is ... most of the time !!! i always have good intentions to clean/tidy but then i get distracted by all the lovely stash and start crafting again ... opps !!! hehehehe had to laugh at the ikea truma though, i always find it a complete nightmare too, worth the trouble though looking at your new craft room. enjoy xxxx

Anna-Lotta said...

What a wonderful room .. my little room is a mess... but i love shopping at IKEA maybe beaucause i´m from Sweden :)
Have a nice day.Anna-Lotta

Anesha said...

Wow love your tidy space and just LOVE the adorable cat! Anesha

ElinA said...

What a wonderful room you got! Love it!

And your cards are stunning too!

Hugs from Norway, Elin! ;-)

Tracey said...

Stunning craft room Sarita, I am sooo jealous lol (I really must tidy/sort out this room).

Hope you're having a good week.

Hugs
Tracey
x

Sue C said...

Wonderful space to get creative in Sarita! I was in Ikea last night, couldn't get out quick enough ! Enjoy your new room. Sue C x

sandra said...

You have more stash then my hobby shop!
Your room looks fantastic!
All clean and tidy.My craft corner is all mess!Sometime I wonder how I can find anything!lol.
Hugs!
Sandra!

Karin said...

totally LOVE your room!! and your cat too!! it's just like mine...allways where you are...

Hilde Larsen aka. Tindaloo said...

wow! that's some stylish scrap-room :) I'm now very eager to make some changes in my own.. *lol*

yvonne said...

OMG .. SO FUNNY SEEING THIS... I AM AT THE MO DOING A CRAFTROOM, AND I WANTED BLACK AND WHITE .. AND YOU EVEN HAVE THE SHELVING I WAS LOOKING AT ... WELL AT LEAST I KNOW IT WILL LOOK STUNNING..JUST LOVE THE CONTRAST AND THE CLEAN LINES ( I BET IT'S NOT THIS TIDY NOW, LOL)

suzi*1 said...

Wow, what a amazing craft room. I would never leave it.

Joy said...

Forgive me while I go get a tissue to wipe my drool!! I am so green with envy it's gorgeous and sooo tidy! xx

Elke said...

Hi Sarita

I am so jealous of your stunning craft room, I wish I could get my hubby to agree for me to buy some extra furniture and a bigger desk for my craft room, but he reckons I cant get anything else in, I need to tidy up first.

Wish he was a considerate as your hubby.

Elke XX

Lou said...

Just been looking at your fab new craft room picture. It looks like my heaven!!! I have those billy bookcases from IKEA, but in the light colour, and dust doesnt show up as much fortunatly!hehe Have you seen they do a lovely glass door with frosted flowers on for it? You would still be able to see your craft stuff that way and it would keep the dust out!

Love what you have done with the stamps on the shelves, really nice touch.

Lou x

judith@poppy cottage said...

I have left something for you on my blog, Judith x

Gunn said...

Thats one awsome room have got there!

I have my small space in the livingroom and I have had to make space in one corner of my desk for the cat. Not much space left for me ;o)

Enjoy your beautiful room and dont care about the dust!

And btw, don't we all just stand there as idiots saying "oh its ok" when it is everything BUT ok? I do it all the time.... to much of a covard to tell the truth.

Gunn

Cazzy said...

Your new craft room looks so smart, and so tidy!
I think it was worth the wait but I would have been complaining loudly. I would write to Ikea head office, if you can find one, you might get a voucher by way of apology if lucky!

Cazzy x

gmistudio said...

i love your new room!!! congrats!

Nikki said...

Your Craft room looks great. Love the open concept of it all easy to see and find. I think the dust would drive me a little batty too
You could always have a curtain in front that can hide it when your not using it would it ever close?
Thanks for sharing
Nikki

Mel M. M. McCarthy said...

WOW! This is SO gorgeous. I agree it looks like a shop. Makes me want to clean my stamproom (aka sloppyroom, heehee) and paint my bookshelves black. LOVE that look! :o)